The Holy Right-Believing Princess Anna of Kashin died on October 2, 1338.
A Church council decided to glorify the holy Princess Anna as a saint, and her holy relics were uncovered on July 21, 1649.
The solemn transfer of her relics from the wooden Dormition Cathedral into the stone Resurrection church took place on June 12, 1650.
In 1677, Patriarch Joachim proposed to the Moscow Council that the veneration of St. Anna of Kashin throughout Russia should be discontinued because of the Old Believers Schism, which made use of the name of St. Anna of Kashin for its own purposes. When she was buried, her hand had been positioned to make the Sign of the Cross with two fingers, rather than three. Therefore, only local veneration of St. Anna was permitted.
However, the memory of St. Anna, who had received a crown of glory from Christ, could not be erased by decree. People continued to love and venerate her, and many miracles took place at her tomb.
On June 12, 1909, her second glorification took place, and her universally observed Feast day was established. Her Life describes her as a model of spiritual beauty and chastity, and an example to future generations.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org )