Commemorated on May 2
The Putivil Icon depicts the Mother of God holding Christ on her left arm, with a ladder behind her right hand. Christ is holding an orb in His left hand, and bestows a blessing with His right.
The Putivil Icon of the Mother of God appeared on May 2, 1635 in the city of Putivl’ in the Kursk region of Russia on the city’s gates (by some sources, the icon was first appeared in the year 1238). For a long time, the wonderworking icon was located on the city-gates and glorified by numerous miracles and signs.
The Putivil Icon is thought to be a copy of the Abul Icon from Mt. Abul in Serbia.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org )