Icon of the Mother of God “Joy of All Who Sorrow” (with coins)
The Icon of the Mother of God “Joy of All Who Sorrow” (With Coins) was glorified in the year 1888 in St. Petersburg.
During a terrible thunderstorm, lightning struck a chapel in St. Petersburg, Russia. Everything was burned or singed, except for this icon of the Queen of Heaven. It was knocked to the floor, and the box containing contributions for the poor broke open at the same time. Somehow, twelve small coins (half-kopeck pieces) became attached to the icon.
A church was built in 1898 on the site of the chapel.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)