Icon of the Mother of God "Tenderness"
The Pskov Caves “Tenderness” Icon of the Mother of God was written and brought to the Pskov Caves Monastery through the efforts of two local merchants, Basil and Theodore, in 1521. It was glorified by miracles of healing in 1524. This holy icon and also the Dormition Icon were glorified in 1581 during the siege of Pskov by Polish King Stephen Bathory.
The icon is also commemorated on October 7 in memory of the deliverance of Pskov from the invasion of Napoleon in 1812.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)