Icon of the Mother of God of Liubech
The Liubech Icon of the Mother of God received its name from the city of Liubech, located on the outskirts of Chernigov, Ukraine. The icon manifested itself during the eleventh century.
The miracles of this icon were described by St. Demetrius of Rostov. In 1653, when an invasion of the Poles against Liubech was imminent, the icon was sent to Kiev. In 1701, after the defeat of the Poles, the icon was returned to the church in Liubech in honor of the Resurrection of Christ. An exact copy of the icon was also left in the Cathedral of Holy Wisdom (Hagia Sophia) in Kiev.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)