Icon of the Mother of God "Staro Rus" (Old Russian)
The Staro Rus (Old Russian) Icon of the Mother of God was so named because for a long time it was in the town of Staro Rus, where it had been brought by the Greeks from Olviopolis during the very first period of Christianity in Russia.
The icon remained there until the 17th century. During a plague in 1655, it was revealed to a certain inhabitant of the city of Tikhvin that the pestilence would cease if the wonderworking Staro Rus Icon were transferred there, and the Tikhvin Icon was sent to Staro Rus.
After the icon was transferred, the plague ceased, but the people of Tikhvin did not return the icon. It was not until the May 4, 1768 that they give permission to make a copy of the Staro Rus Icon.
A feast was established in honor of this event. On September 17, 1888 the original was also returned to Staro Rus and a second Feast day established.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)