St. Juliana, Blessed Virgin Princess of Olshansk
Commemorated on September 29
St. Juliana lived during the early sixteenth century. Her father, Prince Yurii Dubrovitsky-Olshansky, was one of the benefactors of the Kiev Caves Lavra.
The righteous maiden died at the age of sixteen. Her body, buried at the Kiev Caves Lavra near the great church, was found incorrupt in the time of Archimandrite Elisha Pletenets (1599-1624). The holy relics were burned in a fire at the great church in the year 1718, but the relics that remained were put in a reliquary and placed in the Near Caves.
Archimandrite Peter Moghila (afterwards Metropolitan of Kiev), to whom the saint appeared in a dream, reproaching him for lack of attention to her grave, ordered a new reliquary to be made. On the reliquary was the inscription: “By the will of the Creator of heaven and earth doth dwell for all years Juliana, patroness and great intercessor to Heaven. Here are the bones ... healing against all passions ... You adorn Paradise, Juliana, like a beautiful flower ...”
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)