Dormition Fast Begins on August 1st
Knowing that she is eternally present at the throne of God interceding for mankind, we pray for her love, guidance, and protection. Every year the Orthodox Church sets aside the first fourteen days of August in honor of the Virgin Mary. This fast period is climaxed on August 15th, when the Church gathers to celebrate the Great Feast of the Dormition (Falling-Asleep) of the Theotokos.
More resources for the Dormition Fast:
- Paraklesis Service - Little Supplicatory Canon to the Mother of God (PDF)
- Why a Fast for Dormition?
- Tender Love and the Dormition: a podcast from Frederica Mathewes-Green
- Dormition Podcasts from OCN: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- All about Feasts and Fasts, from Discover Orthodox Christianity
- Dormition Music from the Department of Sacred Music (PDF)
- Liturgical Resources from the Diocese of Los Angeles and the West
- Liturgical Resources from the Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America