A Call for Participation: FOCUS on Love...Feeding Hungry Children
Dear Sisters in Christ:
Christ is in our midst!
With Thanksgiving and the Feasts of the Nativity and Theophany having been celebrated, I know with certainty that the chapters in each of the dioceses have been active in humanitarian acts of mercy. From the beginning of the school year through the winter months, so many families had so many needs. The Antiochian Women are continuous sources of compassion and financial help in their individual communities.
As NAB Humanitarian Coordinator, one of my responsibilities is to propose an Act of Mercy appropriate for all Antiochian Women chapters of our Archdiocese for participation in common. As you will remember, we have encouraged participation in some very worthy Common Acts of Mercy in the past, with support for The Treehouse (Wichita, KS) and supplying IOCC Emergency Kits being the latest ones.
It is now time to introduce the 2016-2017 NAB-encouraged Common Act of Mercy and urge participation by all Antiochian Women chapters of our Archdiocese.
For the 2016-2017 NAB-encouraged Common Act of Mercy, FOCUS North America and NAB are pairing up to promote support of the “FOCUS ON LOVE…FEEDING HUNGRY CHILDREN” program as described in the links below, developed by FOCUS for our use.
FOCUS North America (Fellowship of Orthodox Christians United to Serve) was founded in 2009 “to provide action-oriented and sustainable solutions to poverty in communities across America. FOCUS has operations and volunteer experiences in more than 50 cities in the United States.”
In the Resource links below, a description can be found of “FOCUS ON LOVE…FEEDING HUNGRY CHILDREN” with explanations and instructions for the chapters. Please share this information with the Antiochian Women chapters of your Diocese, through emails as well as mailings.
Each chapter is asked to hold a fundraiser on or around Valentine’s Day or in the month of February, if possible, and designate the funds raised to be specifically for this “FOCUS ON LOVE…FEEDING HUNGRY CHILDREN.” Of course, if this timing is not convenient, chapters may raise funds in ways and at times they can carry out.
Some examples of possible fundraisers for this Act of Mercy are:
- Host a luncheon or cookie/cake sale after the Divine Liturgy
- Host a luncheon or sell appropriate individual “snacks” on Meat Fare or Cheese Fare Sunday
- Prepare and sell containers of Lenten soups or other Lenten dinners
- Have a yard or garage sale
- Pass a special tray, or have a labeled donation basket in the fellowship hall or other prominent place
- Sell a specific item prepared by a community group (example: some quarterback clubs or other
- organizations have prepared BBQ meals that you can purchase from them for resale by
- taking orders, picking the items up and distributing them to those who ordered)
- Auction something specific (baskets, night out for two, etc.)
- Share other ideas with me for future suggestions.
The funds raised by each individual chapter are to be mailed in the form of a check directly to FOCUS (see instructions). Or, go to the FOCUS web link and use the “DONATE” button specifically set up for this program. Just as with the previous Common Acts of Mercy, the chapter funds will go DIRECTLY TO FOCUS and NOT to the diocesan Antiochian Women treasurer. If anyone has questions about how to submit the funds raised for this Act of Mercy, please call or email me.
Each Diocesan Humanitarian Coordinator is asked to compile a report on the monies donated to FOCUS ON LOVE from each chapter in her respective diocese. Each diocesan report is to be included in the Diocese Humanitarian Coordinator report sent to me by the end of May, 2017.
Please carefully read over each of these linked documents and go to the FOCUS web link to review all the work FOCUS is devoting to this proposal. As you will notice, FOCUS has designed their “FOCUS ON LOVE” information to also highlight the Antiochian Women.
As time is of the essence, please distribute this information to the chapters of your diocese immediately to give them time to make their plans.
Thank you for your time and help.
2015-2017 NAB Humanitarian Coordinator
How to Donate (PDF)
FOCUS on Kids (PDF)
FOCUS on Love Graphic (GIF)
1. Checks for FOCUS ON LOVE donations should be made payable to FOCUS NORTH AMERICA.
2. Write "Antiochian Women Love Campaign" on memo line.
3. Mail donation check to:
FOCUS North America
PO Box 645039
Pittsburgh, PA 15264-5039
4. Yes, individuals can donate to your chapter for this campaign or directly to FOCUS ON LOVE. However, it would good if an individual uses the information above so that we can track the total given for the Antiochian Women Love Campaign.
Remember that Online donations may be made in the following manner:
1. Visit www.focusnorthamerica.org...
2. Click the donate button at the top of the page to take you to a contribution page on our secure
donation portal for gifts via credit card or PayPal.
FOCUS will recognize your gift with a tax receipt