from Evagrius the Solitary
14. Prayer is the flower of gentleness and of freedom from anger.
15. Prayer is the fruit of joy and thankfulness.
16. Prayer is the remedy for gloom and despondency.
17. 'Go and sell all you have and give to the poor' (Matt. 19:21); and 'deny yourself, taking up your cross' (Matt. 16: 24). You will then be free from distraction when you pray.
18. If you wish to pray as you should, deny yourself all the time, and when any kind of affliction troubles you, meditate on prayer.
19. If you endure something painful out of love for wisdom, you will find the fruit of this during prayer.
20. If you desire to pray as you ought, do not grieve anyone; otherwise you 'run in vain' (Phil. 2:16).